Monday, May 27, 2013

Last weekend in Cali.

It is seriously hard to believe that this was our last weekend in Cali (for now.. as full time residents, not visitors). I think that amidst the packing, we managed to find some time for fun as well! Work & play, work & play.....

Friday was a visit from the moving company to assess our stuff. So far we are at about 3,000 tons to be carried overseas which sounds like, well, tons! Can it be?! Especially considering we have sold, gotten rid of about 2/3 of our furniture and bags & bags of winter clothes! Hmm. In comparison to many homes moving a full load of furniture, we do actually have very little. It will however be shipped (most likely) by boat, which will take about 4-6 weeks to arrive. Thank goodness I'm moving to a place where I can get by with a swimsuit, running clothes and a few simple outfits for a month or so. 

So that night after the moving company came and went and a guy came to purchase Andrew's treasured massage chair, we set out for sushi! Our favorite sushi place is what looks like a tiny hole-in-the wall basically. Of course, these are the best kind of places! It is always crowded at dinner hours and so much so on Friday night that we had to sit at the counter where the train goes round and round (no sushi on the train, just for display). Andrew ordered the 16 sushi platter- the real traditional stuff. I got the Snow White roll w salmon, spicy tuna, cucumber, avocado, cream cheese. (Yes, this is important information for you to know :)) 


Saturday we ran together (our last Saturday run in Cali, for awhile....) and continued the packing efforts. In the afternoon we got to visit our good friends and their new baby! Thank goodness our friends have these cute babies for us to love! Right now I am more than just fine with enjoying many friends' babies. 



This baby was one of THE dearest dolls I have ever laid eyes on. When Andrew first saw her laying on my lap he said "she doesn't even look real"! She was perfect. For me the "love em and leave " old adage applies. We get the baby joy and none of the baby worry :) 

Ok..then... THEN we went to a friends and family screening of Monsters University! My brother's girlfriend works at Pixar and was kind enough to give her four guest passes on the movie showing to Andrew & I and my mom & dad. We felt so cool and completely inspired to enroll in the Monsters U scaring school ourselves! 

What do you think?! 
Most scary scarer--Dad! Most friendly scarer--Andrew! Most coordinated colors with monsters- Mom! ???? ---Andie 

We capped off the night with a great dinner at Trader Vic's which is right along the water with gorgeous views and serves nice Hawaiian food. A goodbye dinner of sorts and an excellent time! My brother kept saying "who knows when we'll see you guys again." It made me kind of sad. We are not falling off the face of the earth! Hawaii is far-ish, but I know that we will figure out how to make fairly frequent trips home. 

The view at Trader Vic's! Night at sea. 

Monday was more running and more packing. Then we went to a friends Memorial Day BBQ! I dress in holiday attire for most holidays, so this one was no exception. To my surprise,I was met by a darling baby who was as festive as I was! 


We returned home to give away our bed to some very nice 20 something year old Presbyterian kids (we had just posted the bed for free on Craigslist)  We are happy that it (& other furniture) found a nice home! I've had this funny thought of pieces of our place are all in different homes- our bed, a table, chairs, side tae, etc, etc.. It's a fun, strange concept to me, to think of our little home dispersed to so many other little homes. 

..... Phew.... That's the weekend..... We move in 5 days! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed you have it all together & ready to move!! Big changes! Good luck--can't wait to follow along in Hawaii!!

    ReplyDelete